Professor of Information Systems
Software Engineering & Information Systems Group
Institute of Computer Science
University of Tartu, Estonia
Institute of Computer Science
University of Tartu
J Liivi 2
Tartu 50409, Estonia
Telephone: +372 737 5473
Fax: +372 737 5468
Find me also on Linkedin,
Most of my lecture notes, lab notes and lecture video recordings are available via the links below. Please enjoy!
I am a co-author of the textbook Fundamentals
of Business Process Management (see also the companion web site) and
co-instructor of two MOOCs: Business
Process Management: An Introduction to Process Thinking and Fundamentals of BPM.
I conduct research in the field of information systems engineering, with a focus on business process management, process mining, and business data analytics. My long-term obsession is to develop methods and tools for automated discovery of business process improvement opportunities both at design-time and at runtime. This includes automated methods for resource optimization, flow optimization and decision optimization in business processes, as well as predictive monitoring of business processes. My ongoing research is mainly funded by an ERC Advanced Grant (PIX Project)
Note to prospective PhD students. I always welcome expressions of interest from prospective PhD students (and also from prospective postdocs). If you are have a strong background in algorithms, machine learning and/or optimization, you are a deep thinker, and you are passionate about applying your skills and deep thinking to solve relevant problems, please contact me.
Some research outputs to which I have contributed are showcased in the following sites:
I am also Strategic Area Leader at the Software Technologies and Applications
Competence Centre (STACC). STACC is an industry-focused research
centre that brings together Estonia's two major universities and 10
companies with the aim of conducting industry-driven research in data
analytics. I oversee all STACC activities related to data analytics
for software and systems optimization.
- Apromore: Open-source tool for process mining.
- Nirdizati: Open-source tool for predictive monitoring of business processes based on event streams. Source code (now incorporated into Apromore)
- Caterpillar: Open-source tool for modeling and execution of collaborative business processes on blockchain.
- DMN Checker: Online tool for analysis and optimization of DMN decision
tables implemented on top of BPMN.io. DMN Checker detects overlapping and
missing rules, and performs rule merging where possible to reduce the size of the table. Source code available
Miner: tool for automated discovery of modular BPMN process models
from event logs in MXML or XES format. Also available as a plugin in ProM Lite and in Apromore.
tool for conformance checking of BPMN process models against event
logs in XES or MXML format.
tool for behavioral delta analysis (comparison) of event logs in XES or MXML format.
- BIMP: Lightweight and ultra-fast simulator of BPMN process models
- BPStruct: Tool for converting unstructured business process models into equivalent block-structured ones
- Process Configuration: Site gathering tools and research publications related to business process configuration
- Service Interaction Patterns: Catalogue of patterns related to the design and implementation of service-oriented applications
- Workflow Patterns: Repository of patterns and evaluations of standards and products related to workflow and business process management
- YAWL: A fully-featured open-source workflow management system based on the workflow patterns and built on a RESTful architecture
- BPMN-to-BPEL Eclipse Plugin: Open-source tool for transforming BPMN process models into readable BPEL code. Other tools for transforming between BPMN, BPEL and Petri nets are available in the BABEL project site
Professional Service and Peer-reviewing
Commissions of trust
- Chair of the ERC Starting Grants Panel (Computer Science and Informatics), 2018, 2020
- Member of IStat's (Italian Statistics Office) Methodology Committee, 2017-2018
- Member of the ERC Starting Grants Panel (Computer Science and Informatics), 2014, 2016
Recent conference committee roles
I was born in Honduras, a
relatively small country located in Central
America, which caters visitors with uncrowded and magnificent beaches, tropical natural parks and vestiges of the
Mayan culture. Curious? Check this travel guide! I studied in Grenoble, France and after graduating, spent a few years in Brisbane Australia. For reasons that I am yet to determine, I then decided to trade the sun for the gloom by moving to Tartu, Estonia. Where next?